Thursday, January 29, 2009

c'est une bonne journee

Well i finally met a friend.

I had to try though. I was sitting in the courtyard of University Aix-Marseilles and saw two girls sitting on a bench talking and I thought to myself.. huh, I think they are speaking in English and after already passing up one opportunity to make a friend, and really feeling like I need to make one, I went up to them and introduced myself. She's Canadienne (Toronto) and is truly an answer to prayer. She is kind of awesome. She seems to really have a passion for doing spontaneous things and wants to travel with me over breaks.

She also showed me a bookstore/coffee shop that has all books in English. It is English (as in British) in that it feels like i'm in Britain when I am inside and it is tres quaint, they serve good tea, have a coffee bar, sell croissants, baguettes, etc. and also have a board posted on the wall with all sorts of advertisements like "french girl, looking for an english speaking person for language sharing" and things of that sort that make me feel alive inside.

I am hoping my physical "home sickness" is over, although I am sure at times I will miss home, but that is life. I have decided that life is difficult, and that there are things in life that in order to experience you have to go through tribulative times and in the end it will make you stronger and help you get closer to real life, where danger is inevitable but the outcome is very rewarding. I hope I never choose security over experience.

I also learned that there are travel opportunities to various cities (mostly on the cote d'azur) every weekend! They are inexpensive and unbelievable--for example this weekend there is a daytrip to Monaco & Monte Carlo! I think the trip is full but I am going to try to get in it... i really want to go.

I also learned that in France there are only two sales a year--they are synchronized and all of the stores are having sales right now....so I better buy buy buy! Because everything is tres expensive!

2 comments:

  1. take many pictures. i wkll never allow you to pick security over experience. we should make a pact! (sp?)

    ha.

    ReplyDelete