Wednesday, February 11, 2009

c'est bazarre!

1. at my university, there are only co-ed bathroom facilities (i will sometimes wash my hands and be next to a male specimen)
2. you don't need to refrigerate the milk here (it isn't dairy)
3. their butter is slightly sweet
4. you hardly put anything on a real crepe
5. i may be a slight wine expert by the time i return
6. they don't really have coffee shops here... you'll have to go to a cafe, which is not as casual and it does not have free wifi
7. almost 50% of people live in apartments in France
8. everything is smaller and more expensive :) but usually better
9. dessert = yogurt, cheese, or a fruit
10. portions are much smaller
11. even though the French are very dramatic in their speech (their intonation goes up and down a lot) they are pretty quiet interacting with their friends in public areas.
12. French people are not as friendly (My host mother says that the French are general difficult to please, capricious) and they seem always ready to react to something, any slight problem or occurrence in like a whiney, "i'm in middle school and begging my mother to let me go to a party" kind of way... it annoys me mostly.

The food i have been eating is delicious. I am going to have many ideas for meals when I return and just in time for farmer's market season!

I'm going to have to say I miss coffee shops.... Because cafes are more formal it just feels weird sprawling all of my things out on a table, sipping cafe creme and getting down to business. There's a waiter man permanently standing waiting for someone to ask for something, and its just not very cozy ( i have an image of myself staring out an icy window into a blizzard at e.p. and it warms my soul. haha. Actually at book & bar, it's pretty cozy--it's an English book store.. i guess it's pretty close to a coffee shop. Yeah, ok it is. It's a favourite place of mine.

And next week I am going to meet a random French person that i e-mailed there.... !

1 comment:

  1. sorry about the cafes. sad news: e.p. may be closing! they have been suffering due to the ecomony i guess. but i feel like they've scared us with this before, so i am not too worried quite yet.

    i need to talk to you!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete