Sunday, February 15, 2009

je deteste le mistral (winds)

I spent Saturday in Marseille, a large port city on the Mediterranean Sea. It was beautiful! The sky and the sea were vibrant blue, and there were hundreds of boats in the vieux port. We climbed up a a big hill to get a comprehensive view of the city. There was a lot more diversity there, and things were less expensive than in Aix. The streets were overcrowded but Chloe and I managed to find a calmer part of town where there was a market just for old books, a playground for kids, and a little jazz band playing.

We found this very interesting eclectic store; it had vintage clothes/boots, art culture books (& holga cameras, but for 70 euros! ridiculous) and a cafe in back with a projector on mute but with subtitles. +++the lady let me used the washroom! i was searching for a public restroom and i was dying, i even bought something from a patisserie to use the bathroom, just to find it did not have one. catasrophic.

Chloe's mom has friends who live in Aix, and they invited Chloe and on to go to a play with them on this same day, so we met them at a cafe in Marseille. It was Jean Coctea's Infernal Machine (Oedipus) in French. It was pretty amazing--it was in the smallest theater i have ever been in and the actors were very expressive. I think last semester I watched the sequel (movie) to this play and wondered why i didn't understand it.

I saw this French movie "LOL" today. It was a coming of age movie. Although, I've decided that it takes people a long time to "come of age" because we have so long to grow up and so long to be young. I do not particularly like that. I think there are too many options, and with too many options, more to regret and question and change. To someone who knows themself, this could be a nuisance. I'll post the pubescent music video from the movie. hopefully it will entertain you.

No comments:

Post a Comment