Sunday, March 22, 2009

ma belle-mere

here they say beautiful mother, father, etc instead of step-mother or step-father. interesting. they also say celebetaire for being single, which i do NOT prefer, but vive la langue (live the language). I am amazed how time is flying by and how almost every weekend from here on out is planned with some site to see, it makes it seem like i am leaving soon, which i do not want to think about at this moment.

when i first got here and was feeling homesick, there was a wikihow site i was looking "how to fight homesickness" haha, and one suggestion was to immerse yourself in the culture and see what there is to see, meet people and ask about their experiences and it will make you not think about being "stuck here" haha. well i heeded their advice. i have friends here now, a french language partner who is really sweet, and a belle mere. I asked her to watch a movie with me last night, it was french and surprisingly i really understood it (in french with french subtitles). Lately we've been talking about a lot of important matters and just the way society is progressing. I am very surprised to communicate of these topics because they are deep and in French. For example that the feminist movement was not good for families and that the differences between sexes is getting smaller, and that adolescents is becoming longer and that youth are more confused now and that they are less happy. And i guess it is also a trend here to delay marriage, or just live together and not get married. I asked the average age for marriage and she said about 30!!! yikes.

She also talks about her previous American students.... oh man. think paris hiltons. i am glad she knows it depends on the American because she's had some ridiculous but cliche American girls staying with her. I am glad that she views this exchange between us a learning experience for both of us because I am really learning a lot about France and wine and things in general. Yesterday i asked what her favorite age was at dinner and she said she loved every age they are just different and she explained the differences. And i thought of how beautiful that was. She really is a beautiful person. I really got lucky... or maybe luck is the wrong word.

2 comments:

  1. All your blogs are so thought provoking for me. I will try to comment more! It is interesting how every culture and people group have their own traditions and ways to mature. The more I adjust to being single again, the more I realize how wonderful this part of my life is. To make mistakes, to learn, to grow in faith and experience.

    It is exciting. The importance of female friendship has also began to dwell in the cracks of my heart. I've begun to be own company and it is lonely at times, but I can honestly say that I like spending time with myself more than I ever thought I would.

    ReplyDelete
  2. one thing i am struck by is now much your are growing! you seem to have a bigger outlook on life than you did when you were here. that is wonderful!!!

    ReplyDelete